[Bf-committers] Color space and alpha issues

Brecht Van Lommel brechtvanlommel at pandora.be
Mon Dec 19 14:53:01 CET 2011

Hi,

I think the way this should work is good defaults that work without
the user having to think about it, and then extra controls for those
who want more control.

It's not true that unassociated stores most information, it can't
store a rendered object that is both transparent and emitting light.
This information is lost when storing a render in unassociated alpha
format.

Thinking of a render output as a color + mask is also problematic for
other reasons. You can't take an image with both foreground and
background, apply a mask and get only the foreground object. Pixels
that are partially transparent (because of antialiasing or material
transparency) should only contain color from the foreground object.

The information that is lost with associated alpha is in pixels that
are entirely transparent (in float precision it's possible to get back
the info for partially transparent pixels). Thinking of color + mask
works for a binary alpha mask, but for partially transparent pixels
it's often the wrong mental picture.

Brecht.