[Bf-committers] Color space and alpha issues

James Ruan ruanbeihong at gmail.com
Sun Dec 18 09:48:06 CET 2011

The use of premultiplied alpha format is to save some computing time.
The definition of straight alpha format is clearer that stores alpha
info in a separate channel. No matter which one is used as uniform
internal representation, it is required that handling conversion
between them when necessary. The optimal choice could be make by
evaluating computing time it consumes when using it. So IMHO
premultiplied alpha seems to win that.

2011/12/15 Brecht Van Lommel <brechtvanlommel at pandora.be>:
> Hi,
>
> Color management and alpha issues are a recurring topic, I've written
> a wiki page explaining issues with the current code and what I think
> should be done to solve them:
> http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Dev:Source/Image/Color
>
> You might notice I'm not really mentioning OIIO/OCIO. It's a nice
> project to integrate those, but it doesn't solve current issues and is
> fairly orthogonal to the proposed changes.
>
> I might not have time to tackle this for 2.62, but it doesn't
> necessarily need to be done all in one big change. Feedback welcome,
> about what you think should be done different, and which alpha format
> convention should be used?
>
> Thanks,
> Brecht.

James Ruan