[Bf-committers] Color space and alpha issues

Bartek Skorupa bartekskorupa at bartekskorupa.com
Fri Dec 16 08:50:44 CET 2011

Re wiki page: When explaining math behind mixing "Over" image with
background (straight alpha) it should be: [(Over.RGB * Over.Alpha) +
(Background.RGB * (1 - Over.Alpha))].
Formula at the page is: [(Over.RGB * Over.Alpha) + Background.RGB].
Shouldn't it be corrected?

In my opinion it should be as follows:
"over" image mixed with "normal" blending mode, or "mix" blending mode:
  [(Over.RGB * Over.Alpha) + (Background.RGB * (1 - Over.Alpha))]

"over" image mixed with "Add" blending mode:
  [((Over.RGB + Background.RGB) * Over.Alpha) + (Background.RGB * (1 -
Over.Alpha))].

"over" image mixed with "Multiply" blending mode:
  [((Over.RGB * Background.RGB) * Over.Alpha) + (Background.RGB * (1 -
Over.Alpha))].

Other blending modes - accordingly to their math.

Bartek Skorupa