[Bf-committers] Changing mul_m4_m4m4 argument order

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 15 22:25:42 CET 2011

+1 for changing asap, can only think of uninspired names but dont
think it matters much - 'mul_m4_m4m4_ok' ?

On forcing conflicts...

Think its much better to rename and force dev to think rather then
silently work but in fact be doing the wrong order in branches,

I was going to suggest to run this on branches too, but think its
problematic since it would complicate things further with merge
conflicts if the branch hadn't been updated in a while.
Probably better to rename the function and have a script available to
branch maintainers as you did for the initial arithb.c refactor.

On Fri, Dec 16, 2011 at 1:51 AM, Brecht Van Lommel
<brechtvanlommel at pandora.be> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The argument order of the mul_m4_m4m4 C math function is inconsistent
> with the others. This has always been the case, but I only recently
> found this out, it explains quite a bit of confusion I've had in the
> past working with matrices. Python is not affected by this.
>
> For the details, see here:
> http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Dev:Source/Mathematics/Math_Library#Matrix-Matrix_Multiplication
>
> It's easy to fix this in trunk, the main issue is for branches, just
> changing the order of arguments to mul_m4_m4m4 will not show up as
> conflicts in merges. A solution would be to change the function to a
> different name. Do you think this is needed, and does anyone have a
> good suggestion for a different name? I guess that would also cause
> some confusion, but hopefully much less.
>
> Thanks,
> Brecht.

- Campbell