[Bf-committers] CUDA compiler open-sourced

Davis Sorenson davis.sorenson at gmail.com
Wed Dec 14 23:47:32 CET 2011

To quote from the linked article:
"NVIDIA today announced that *it will provide the source code* for the new
NVIDIA® CUDA® LLVM-based compiler *to academic researchers and
software-tool vendors*, enabling them to more easily add GPU support for
more programming languages and support CUDA applications on alternative
processor architectures."

While It does mention opening (In the title) and source code, the wording
is a bit strange. Do they mean that it will be "Shared-source" like some
Microsoft products, or do they mean that it will be under an open-source
license? Just thought I would point this out. Either way this is good news,
but if it's real open-source it's much better news.

Davis