[Bf-committers] Proposal to Change Mathutils Vectors

Stephen Swaney sswaney at centurytel.net
Wed Dec 7 05:44:40 CET 2011

Some further thoughts:

We have two use cases here.  The first is for naive users who just want
to transform some coordinates and don't want to worry their pretty
little heads about the niceties of matrix vs vector math.  "What do
you mean A * B is not the same as B * A?"

For this use, the easiest approach might be to create some convenience
functions or methods that transform a 3d point from local to world
coordinates, for example.

The 2nd case is people doing vector/matrix math who understand exactly
what they are doing.  These people understand the nuances of dealing
with vectors and matrices and why homogenous coordinates are a good
thing.  For this case, we should not be doing funny stuff under the
covers or creating hidden inefficiencies by unexpectedly renormalizing
calculations as we go.  Let the math be the math.  Our growing
robotics and scientific visualization users are the examples here.

--
Stephen Swaney
sswaney at centurytel.net
231-271-7371