[Bf-committers] Blender developer IRC meeting minutes, 4 december 2011

Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
Sun Dec 4 18:27:19 CET 2011

Hi all,

Here's a summary of todays topics:

1) Blender 2.61 release progress

- Translation (.po) files: will be added to svn tomorrow by Bastien
Montagne.
   Meeting agrees that .po files should be added before we enter BCon4
(official release candidate builds).

- Motion tracker: Keir Meirle has updated solvers, using a hybrid of
previous methods. Camera tracking is working great.

- Motion tracker: Sergey Sharybin was trying to finish object tracking
as well, but couldn't finish it today yet.

- Meeting then spent a long time on pros and cons of having last
minute cool features - like object tracking. Basically the module
owner (Sergey) could decide it's good enough to add today or tomorrow.
But if it needs more time (week or more) to mature, it's better to
wait. Sergey thinks he'll wait for 2.62 with it... but we don't
exclude a miracle. :)

- As planned, we move to BCon4 tomorrow: all work for release has been
wrapped up, we make release candidates and focus on essential bug
fixes only.

- Release Candidate build call: this tuesday evening (EU time).

- NOTE!! Files saved with svn trunk Blender, between Nov 29 and Dec 4,
have a delta scaling issue, which makes objects appear zero scaled.
Best solution then is to run this 1 liner in the python terminal:

   >>>  for ob in bpy.data.objects: ob.delta_scale = (1,) * 3

- To get ready for a fabulous release, we do a call for demos! We can
use excellent files to show all the new features in 2.61. Mail links
to files to this list?

- Thomas Dinges added a cool Cycles test material blend file in svn:
http://temp.dingto.org/bmps_glass_2500.png
https://svn.blender.org/svnroot/bf-blender/trunk/lib/tests/rendering/cycles/

2) Other projects

- Antonis Ryakiotakis (Psy-Fi) worked on improved selection code, it
appears ATI cards keep badly supporting OpenGL's standard (but
ancient) glSelect() function.

http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?238426-why-is-gl_select-still-used-to-select-objects-in-Blender/page2
http://www.pasteall.org/26958/diff

More tests will be needed; especially if ATI/AMD really didn't fix
this in last year...

- Campbell Barton reminds everyone about the BMesh compatibility
issue: is it needed to save out in new .blend files Meshes that will
read in old binaries still? Ton suggests to make decision next week,
after examining issue closer.

-Ton-