[Bf-committers] Updated BMesh Merge Proposal

Knapp magick.crow at gmail.com
Thu Dec 1 20:13:39 CET 2011

On Thu, Dec 1, 2011 at 9:39 AM, ertuqueque <ertuqueque at gmail.com> wrote:
> >From an user perspective... Here's my 2 cents...
>
> I don't mind at all losing backwards compatibility... We achieve progress
> by moving forward.
>
> And I think the merge should be for 2.63... Not only because of Mango going
> full swing later, but because is a good idea to have a more stable BMesh
> ready for next year's GSoC. And that is accomplished with a lot of user
> feedback... The earlier people start using BMesh, the earlier is going to
> be stable.

Why not just make it an export function. IE export to old blender format.
It might be nice to start writing the open function so it checks the
version info. This way it can say that a blend is from a newer than
self version and warn that it might crash  or suggest that the user go
back and save in an older format using the export functions. You can
do this in Open Office to save files for older versions of MS Office
so it would not be a new idea to users.

--
Douglas E Knapp

with open source software!