[Bf-committers] Updated BMesh Merge Proposal

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 1 04:54:56 CET 2011

Would this be acceptable?

Not being backwards compatible is one thing, but crashing older
blenders is another, crashing happens at least when....
* entering editmode
* using modifiers that require edge data - edge split for eg.

If people who want to go back to an older blender, they can run this
python 1 liner and the problem is solved :) ...
... unless they have edge split modifier on and existing blend file
where it will crash immediately, then they only need to append the
scene into an existing blend file, run this one liner.. all is good,
ugh :S.

>>> for me in bpy.data.meshes: me.validate()

note - the size of an edge on disk remains the same for bmesh.

On Thu, Dec 1, 2011 at 2:15 PM, Mikhail Raisler <mirahal at ya.ru> wrote:
> "Propose to write edge data into files so they load in 2.60 and older, but add logic into BMesh that knows to ignore these edges.
> Also, this extra edge data will slow down saving so it will be disabled for undo which also uses save code - Campbell"
>
> So you guys wrote new particle system without backwards compatibility, you wrote new anim sys without backwards compatibility, you wrote new python api without backwards compatibility....
> And now when bmesh edge data is so heavy, you wanna make it more heavy make backwards compatibility... I think it's a bad idea.

- Campbell