[Bf-committers] Visibility of attribution

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 31 07:59:36 CEST 2011

On Wed, Aug 31, 2011 at 3:29 PM, Alex Fraser <adfries at vpac.org> wrote:
> [...]

Credits link from splash seems reasonable, or link from help menu, or
prominent link from download page - I'm not that fussed as long as its
not getting in the way too much.

As for how to maintain this list - I doubt maintaining by hand will
work, developers already don't add themselves to the `Contributors`
section in the header much, so if this page is only to allow people to
add themselves who like being credited - then I suppose it serves that
purpose but wont end up crediting people who don't make the effort to
add themselves there.

Mostly I see this as being an extra wiki document to maintain, we
already barely manage to keep lists of module owners, changelogs,
release logs, py api changelogs, regression files.... etc. Up to date,
so I'd be surprised if this page ends up being properly maintained.

So I'll propose to parse svn logs, do some basic regex to get patch
numbers and find the patch author names so we credit them too. The
script can have some hard coded remappings to credit companies rather
than the committers - think this wont be too hard to manage.
If Ton's ok with it, I can look into this, think its only a few hrs work.

--
- Campbell