[Bf-committers] Visibility of attribution

Alex Fraser adfries at vpac.org
Wed Aug 31 07:23:57 CEST 2011

Hi all,

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Ton Roosendaal" <ton at blender.org>
> Subject: Re: [Bf-committers] Guidelines for developer logs, docs & blogs
> Hi,
>
> Our bug tracker should facilitate that better I guess... I've seen the
> Linux patch system to add a disclaimer (you hereby confirm the code is
> yours or OK to submit) and a license/copyright note.

It's great that there has been progress on the contributor agreements. I like the idea of the simple disclaimer.

Please forgive me for bringing up the topic of attribution again. I would like to add a "Credits" link to the splash screen, like this:

    http://www.pasteall.org/pic/17174

It would link to a page like this one:

    http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Dev:Ref/Release_Notes/Source_code/Contributors

which would list all contributors for the life of the project. This is different to the current "Release Log" link, because
 1. Credits won't become invisible after the next release.
 2. It's much easier to find the credits page.

For now it might be easiest to add all the 2.5x credits pages to the page mentioned above. But as suggested by Campbell, we could move to a more scalable format that shows each developer and the number of commits they have made, like this:

    http://www.libreoffice.org/about-us/credits/

Even though many patches are committed by a developer on behalf of someone else, it might be possible to get most of the information by processing the SVN log.

What do you think?

Cheers,
Alex