[Bf-committers] Small note about Git

Bastien Montagne montagne29 at wanadoo.fr
Tue Aug 23 15:09:02 CEST 2011

Hy,

I just ran into git-annex [1] while browsing git packages in my Debian
distro, and as I think it has not yet been mentionned before in the
long-going DVCS discussion, I thought it might be worth a small email! ;)

Afaik, the main reason not using git (or other dvcs) yet is their
handling of big binary files ? Well, git-annex addresses that issue, by
allowing to not actually version some files inside a git repostory.
Those (big binary) files remain manageable as standard git elements, but
git-annex just gives git a symlink, handling the actual data storing itself.

Note I did not test it myself!

Hoping this could help,
Bastien

[1] http://git-annex.branchable.com/