[Bf-committers] Blender and Collada support. Does it matter?

Peter Amstutz tetron at interreality.org
Mon Aug 22 16:05:34 CEST 2011

Hi Ton,

I agree that the best way to get this done is to get stakeholders to
commit to developing or at least supporting development of Collada
features rather than just complaining about it.  My company is very
small, which means we are disproportionately affected by the Autodesk
tax [1] and very much want to get away from 3DS Max and use Blender
for our workflow, which is mostly character-oriented.  Our prime
interest is in Collada import, so we can export our characters from
3DS Max and import them into Blender without having to completely redo
the rigging and animation.

Our barrier to dedicating resources to work on Blender is that we are
a contractor, so we either need to be able to justify working on
Blender as part of our contracts, or do the work on overhead.  While
1-2 week skunk works projects are fairly easy to slip into the
schedule, I'm pretty sure Collada is a much bigger task that requires
a more significant time commitment.  If there were some other funding
source, it would be much easier to get management on board.

[1] I think Autodesk is the new Microsoft of this decade, at least in
CG.  Does that mean Blender is the new Linux?

- Peter