[Bf-committers] Blender and Collada support. Does it matter?

Knapp magick.crow at gmail.com
Fri Aug 19 08:45:41 CEST 2011

> Well that was basically the whole point of my post - people are serious about Collada, many need it, and certainly funded dev on it must be possible. Was mostly a reaction to you saying that funding the work wouldn't work.
>
> So, as said, by all means talk with Khronos, but if that route is slow or otherwise difficult, let's not let that stop us getting improved code earlier.
>
>> Juan
>
> ~Toni

As a hobby user I am finding myself stuck because of Collada issues
also. I write games with Panda 3d. Blender used to have an "egg"
exporter but now it does not for the 2.5 line. Panda is switching to
the Collada importer but they are also being a bit slow about it.
Between all this I am stuck not being able to full do what I would
like to do. My current option is exporting to X format and then
converting to egg format but loosing stuff like animation.

For more info into this problem area between Blender and Panda 3d:
https://www.panda3d.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=11087

Having a solid Blender Collada will make sure that in the future the
Blender -> Panda 3d pipeline is solid. It makes me very nervous seeing
all the Collada complaints and also seeing Panda3d be so slow in
getting a 2.5 pipeline with Blender.

So to sum it up; hobbyist need solid Collada too.

--
Douglas E Knapp

with open source software!

Massage in Gelsenkirchen-Buer: