[Bf-committers] Impact on current compositor node

j.bakker at atmind.nl j.bakker at atmind.nl
Fri Aug 19 08:10:43 CEST 2011

Hi all!

I have made a detailed analysis on the migration effort of the current
compositor nodes in trunk to the new openCL branch

http://ocl.atmind.nl/doku.php?id=development:nodes

the results are:
No issues on most nodes (same algorithm can be used for 85% of the nodes).
Biggest challenges are related to our Filter nodes in finding correct
algorithms for these nodes. Especially for the glare node.

There are some other limitation (Tonemap, Levels, Normalize) This
limitation is that these three nodes act as a sync-point when used. All
input data for these nodes need to be available, before the system will
continue.

Next to these nodes there are a lot of 'future' nodes that will really
benefit on the new compositor. These include
 - Bokeh blur
 - Simple masking nodes
 - Color correction
 - Lens ghosting

In the next two months we will work on the open-cl part for the filter
nodes.

Jeroen