[Bf-committers] Bf-committers Digest, Vol 85, Issue 18

trouble daemon troubledaemon at gmail.com
Thu Aug 18 12:26:54 CEST 2011

> On Thu, Aug 18, 2011 at 3:22 AM, Nathan Vegdahl <cessen at cessen.com> wrote:
>>> What defines a new feature? How big must the impact be
>>> for it? I mean it's senseless to write a small feature which
>>> only affects a few lines in some areas to be developed in
>>> a branch.
>>
>> When branches are expensive, yeah, that's true. ?Perhaps that's a good
>> argument for switching to a DVCS: it makes it a lot easier to manage
>> this kind of a workflow, since anyone can publish their own branch.
>
> +1; this would be unworkable without DVCS.

My advice would be for more of the dev's to switch now to something
like git with svn support and get used to it. Just use git svn
dcommit's now to your current branch, nobody would even know! If every
dev out there was already using git, switching would probably be easy
as you would already all be used to the new system.

As for which DVCS to use, I think I am biased towards git. Mercurial
is fine too I suppose, although the way you clone to branch is a
little weird in comparison. I personally like how git keeps everything
in one nice little package though.

I am curious as to how something like git and hg are on OS's other
than Linux, as well as support in your favorite IDE's. Although I
would guess that most allow for custom tool commands these days, or
heaven forbid, you manually run shell commands :)

Anyways, just my two cents. I say take a chance! :)

Dan