[Bf-committers] Blender Release Cycle

Brecht Van Lommel brechtvanlommel at pandora.be
Wed Aug 17 13:15:12 CEST 2011

Hi,

I definitely agree we need better quality control, would like to see
code review used for all bigger changes, while BF employees should
review the smaller commits that go directly to svn.

On Wed, Aug 17, 2011 at 12:06 PM, Thomas Dinges <blender at dingto.org> wrote:
> Another thing that came up yesterday by some devs in IRC, is that we
> might better increase the cycle to 12 weeks.
> And on second thought, it's really a lot of work to have 6 really stable
> releases a year, 4 would be sufficient imho.
> This way, we would have more time in trunk to do bug fixing after the
> big merges in bcon 1/2. And I have to agree with it, better not rush
> releases out.
> Fixed cycles and planning yes, but give it a bit more time.

I think the release cycle really should be shorter than 12 weeks. A
longer release cycle does not equal more bugfixing, it hasn't been
true in the past. In my opinion it's better to commit fewer features
that are easier to manage and get stable.

Brecht.