[Bf-committers] Blender Release Cycle

Michael Fox mfoxdogg at gmail.com
Tue Aug 16 23:50:19 CEST 2011

> Michael, its not that you are ignored but can you give some examples
> of why this is bad
does the bug tracker give any clues, or how about the fact each release
of 2.5 since we have taking this approach is getting worse and worse, i
have lost count of how many times i have been helping someone for almost
an hour on irc and turns out its a bug and being absolutely gutted by
it, and the number times this happens
> , the last few releases we did kept quite close to 8
> weeks and I think it worked well for us
and in your binded state did you happen to notice the droves of users
and developers leaving because of this stupid practise, Blender is
increadbly important to 1000's of people, and when you start saying 'oh
this bug is not a show stopper' you start belittling the
users/developers and start making blender a developers tool not an
artists tool as who can say what is and isn't a workflow/show stopper
bug, it may not be for you but it is a big one for someone else hence
why they reported it.
> , and helps keep developers on
> track with stabilizing frequently,
ok then how come we have over 200 registered bugs where each release we
have had < 50 or <20 registered bugs, and numerous 'fix for fix #4545'
commits and blender is suffering a great deal here. This practise is an
illusion of greatness because of its adoption by ff and chrome but they
are web browsers in a rapidly changing market great care really dosn't
need to be taken, but for us people's lives depend on us where great
care is required.
In CG you need to take your time, make it adaptive as possible, make it
as clean as possible,make it fit into the paradig of the B2.5 arch, and
make sure the fix truly is a fix otherwise its the users who suffer. I
propose we go back to the bi-annual release with the 1 month of bug
hunting before release, this way we can take our time, and make sure of
everything and once again deliver fantatic product called blender, not
the junk thats 2.57 and 2.59.