[Bf-committers] Blender Release Cycle

Thomas Dinges blender at dingto.org
Tue Aug 16 11:22:36 CEST 2011

Hey Michael,
This is everything else than foolish.
It would be if we would continue like before, but we intend to only
merge features into trunk which are really finished already!
In trunk then the projects still have a few weeks to fix bugs and
improve it if necessary. If the feature is not ready or still unstable
at the end of week 6, project admins will decide if it will be removed
again, it's that simple.

We won't have any problems if we stick to that:
1) Only features which are finished and code is reviewed well can be merged.
2) If at the end of a cycle the feature is not ready to be released,
remove again until next cycle.

Thomas

Am 16.08.2011 09:35, schrieb Michael Fox:
> I never agreed with the 8 week release cycle anyway, as it causes you to
> rush your work resulting in ugly hacked together code and features and
> results also in releases with little substance. Such a cycle works for
> Chrome and FF because they are at each other throats trying to out do
> each other and fix 100s of bugs a day.
>
> This proposal for 8 weeks is foolish, we have always prided ourselves on
> clean(ish) code and well thought out mature features and releases filled
> to the brim with stuff and never put 1 bug above another all bugs are
> the same and the community loves us and loves blender for that as we
> don't belittle their problems.
>
> i know i should have said this earlier but what i say has very little
> meaning anymore like what i said here will be ignored as always

Thomas Dinges
Blender Developer, Artist and Musician

www.dingto.org