[Bf-committers] Fedora openCOLLADA cmake fix

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 14 18:21:04 CEST 2011

On Sun, Aug 14, 2011 at 7:48 AM, Dan Eicher <dan at trollwerks.org> wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 14, 2011 at 5:14 AM, Richard Shaw <hobbes1069 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I'm not a cmake expert but for the Fedora build we decided to put the
>> headers in "/usr/include/<COLLADA_LIB_NAME>" without the extra
>> "/include" on the end, so I also patch the blender cmake files to make
>> that work.
>
> That's pretty much the whole reason for this little adventure, I was
> sitting around with nothing to do and figured I'd try the official
> fedora blender.spec out on (pre-release) 2.59 which brought up the
> header issue.

I wouldn't use the official blender spec. The Fedora maintainer has
just recently converted to using cmake, and it's a very minimal
conversion. I started with the openSUSE source rpm and collaborated
with its maintainer, which IMHO, had a much better (albeit more
complicated) approach.

I've uploaded my latest spec here:

http://hobbes1069.fedorapeople.org/blender/

There's also a source rpm but I don't remember when I uploaded that so
it will probably not match the spec I just uploaded exactly.

One thing mine does that I don't think the official maintainer has
figured out yet is that be default the cmake macro on Fedora assumes
you want to build shared libs, which in general is a good idea,
however, blender builds all these in statically. I found out the hard
way that if you want shared libs you have a lot of work patching all
the CMakeLists.txt's to add the right linker dependencies.

> Judging by blender's cmake files osx also does this with the collada
> headers, IMHO the collada 'make install' is the one in the wrong here.

Yup, if you've downloaded my openCOLLADA source rpm you'll find a
patch to the cmake files to make it install like apple.

I haven't worried about 'make install'. I just install everything
manually in the spec file. Dave Platter, the openSUSE maintainer of
blender (and openCOLLADA) has worked a little bit with openCOLLADA
upstream to improve the cmake support, but I'm not sure how far he's
gotten. I think he's pretty busy right now as I haven't heard from him
in over a month.

> As a bit of an aside, I also had to come up with a .spec for libspnav
> since that's part of the official blender builds now (but apparently
> linked statically by default).

I'm not even sure if I'm building with nav support... I'll need to check.

Do you want to do a Review Request for libspnav? If so I'll volunteer
to be the reviewer.

Thanks,
Richard