[Bf-committers] Blender 2.59 release AHOY!

Jim Williams sphere1952 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 12 15:59:04 CEST 2011

As painful as this attitude seems, I'd have to agree with it.  The
idea here is to modify expectations -- mostly on the developers part.

Um....given that the next number is to be 6.0 I wouldn't mind seeing
that "200 bugs" turn into "0 bugs" in the near future rather than have
to learn new UI.  It's really nice when round numbers mean pretty
product.

On Fri, Aug 12, 2011 at 6:45 AM, Campbell Barton <ideasman42 at gmail.com> wrote:
> This issue (IMHO) is not worth holding back the release for, we can
> review Sergey's fix and have it ready for next release.
> We now have 200 bugs in the tracker, so unless new bugs are found that
> are regressions from previous releases we're better off sticking to a
> more strict release cycle, 2.59 release we have now fixes ~140 bugs
> since 2.58 so IMHO users are still better off with the update and not
> waiting longer.
>
> On Fri, Aug 12, 2011 at 8:22 PM, Jass <gaia.clary at machinimatrix.org> wrote:
>> Why don't you just shift the release date (by one week for example),
>> fix the issues as needed and keep trunk frozen for that period ?
>> Wouldn't that help to get out an excellent release and avoid
>> to push out 2.59b one week after 2.59 was released ?
>>
>> Am 12.08.2011 07:52, schrieb Sergey I. Sharybin:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I've got fix for grease pencil in mu branch [1], but it's really that
>>> kind of changes which shouldn't be applied in last minute (at least
>>> there are several possible issues i wanted to check), so let's limit GP
>>> a bit for 2.59.
>>>
>>> About reloading scripts and so. I've been working on UI in my branch
>>> after merging ghash changes there and haven't found any bad sides of
>>> this change.
>>>
>>> About more clear release next time. I'm not sure why this release is so
>>> "crazy". Is it our lag, lag of coordination or so..
>>>
>>> [1]
>>> http://projects.blender.org/scm/viewvc.php?view=rev&root=bf-blender&revision=39313
>>>
>>> P.S. linux 32/64 bit would be available soon.

> --
> - Campbell

No essence.  No permanence.  No perfection.  Only action.