[Bf-committers] Blender 2.59 release AHOY!

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 12 02:10:04 CEST 2011

Hi, woke up to find a re-release from a revision that contains changes
I made that were *not* intended to be in a stable release - switching
operators and menus to hash lookups.
We should have branched at r39259 stable and applied patches there
before re-releasing.

There is also the issue with grease pencil session - where the
operator points to data that can be freed on 'Global Undo' (as opposed
to the crasher with the modal operators own *fake* undo, fixed 39237
and double undos fixed 39235).

Sergey's fix means you can't move the viewport while grease pencil
session is enable so the option is now not at all working as it was
meant.

*Sigh*
Since there were 3 fairly bad bugs in this tool (2 crashers), my
impression is that option isn't used all that much.
A correct fix isn't some small edit, the operator must store data
differently, this should have been picked up during normal
development, IMHO we should not attempt to sort this out as a
last-minute, show-stopper fix.

There is the remaining issue:
Do we use current bsd/linux/mac builds from r39304 (and wait on win
build before announcing),
Or re-branch from 39259 and apply a few fixes there and rebuild on all
platforms.

By not re-branching we break our own guidelines - to unfreeze quick
but use a branch for fixes and it feels very sloppy to me.
On the other hand my change of moving operators/menu's into a hash
isn't that big a deal and works with scripts reloading, freeing,
re-registering operators etc - I would expect any bugs here would be
obvious and break blender immediately, so I *think* they are safe.

Suggest to go ahead with r39304, but next release be more clear with
release tag/branch, and the following unfreeze.

- Campbell

On Fri, Aug 12, 2011 at 3:58 AM, Kent Mein <mein at cs.umn.edu> wrote:

>> Didn't know OSX still have got issues with non-trunk verison. I've just
>> commited patch from Jens to solve this problems.
>>
>> We prefer to keep revisions synced for all platforms, so please use
>>
>> Trunk: r39307
>> Extensions: r2241
>>

> Updated tarball of the source and md5sum are in incoming on ftp.blender.org
>
> Kent

- Campbell