[Bf-committers] Blender OCIO

Xavier Thomas xavier.thomas.1980 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 11 18:51:39 CEST 2011

> - Blender use color-management only for float images. I do not plan and
> > changing this. For quick operation of some of the Blender features (3d
> view
> > texturing, sequencer, ...) I think it is best to keep things that way.
> >

> what does that mean ? 8bit (or whatever) image are not converted to float
> anyway ?

When loading a PNG or JPEG image for example. it is loaded in 8bit per
channel in ImBuf->rect without doing any color-management transformation
(the data in ImBuf->rect is in the same color-space as in the file). If you
use this image as a texture in text-face mode for the game engine or 3D
view, than this 8bit per channel image is used directly in it's "native"
color-space. But if you use this image in a "image input" node in the
compositor, than this image is converted to float in ImBuf->rect_float and
at the same time color-management is applied for this float data to be in
linear color-space.