[Bf-committers] Exposing Tool Settings - issue with 2.5x

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 5 08:05:18 CEST 2011

On Fri, Aug 5, 2011 at 3:37 PM, Matt Ebb <matt at mke3.net> wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 5, 2011 at 3:20 PM, Campbell Barton <ideasman42 at gmail.com>wrote:
>

>> Yep, but there is still a conflict here in how settings are exposed,
>> should the operator be synchronizing between scene->toolsettings and
>> operator options at all?
>>
>> Its error prone - if a python script for example runs a bunch of
>> operators it can adjust the scene->toolsettings used when they next
>> run live unwrap.
>>
>> once we add last-used settings. should this be used rather then
>> initializing the options from the tool settings?
>>

> Yes - as far as I'm aware the only reason toolsettings is used at the moment
> is for this purpose - to store the most recently used settings for
> particular tools. Ideally this sort of functionality should be enabled for
> all operators. For all I know the scene->toolsettings is just there still as
> a stopgap measure from 2.4 for this sort of purpose, it would be better to
> replace it entirely.

Disagree, for options like "Normalize Weights", "Sculpt Mirror", and
many paint/sculpt options - you don't want to have to think about
these every time you access an operator.
Especially since these settings apply across all different operators
you could easily forget that the last time you accessed a certain tool
you didn't set an option and mess up you're work without realizing it.

>> This option is internally (scene->toolsettings->uvcalc_flag &
>> UVCALC_TRANSFORM_CORRECT), the idea is to be able to do other
>> transformations and have the UV's be corrected - just transforming a
>> vertex loop could work too for example.
>> This option is meant to work more like mesh mirror, where multiple
>> tools use it.
>>

> Could it not be a per-operator property? It would be more consistent with
> other tools that way, and a bit more controllable. Also if settings are
> stored if its something you like to use it only needs to be switched on
> once...

Depends... if this only ever stays used for one tool I guess so, but
would like to use this option for multiple tools eventually (after
fabled bmesh merge).

> matt

- Campbell