[Bf-committers] Exposing Tool Settings - issue with 2.5x

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 5 06:53:12 CEST 2011

On Fri, Aug 5, 2011 at 2:31 PM, Matt Ebb <matt at mke3.net> wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 5, 2011 at 2:13 PM, Campbell Barton <ideasman42 at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> 3) Operator Options - don't mean regular operator options, rather
>> operator options that store the settings used in the
>> scene->toolsettings, for re-use. This is how LSCM Unwrap options are
>> exposed, since the settings used apply to live unwrap, not just on
>> executing the operator.
>>

> Ideally, *all* operator properties should be stored for re-use later - so
> when you run an operator, then run it again, it will default to the last
> most recently used properties. Perhaps a little button to reset the operator
> properties to factory defaults too. I think we discussed this a bit at the
> winter camp so many moons ago, but nothing concrete emerged from it.

Agree, this is infact not that hard to do if we just the existing
operator history - Ton suggested this recently.

> As for Live Unwrap, this is an exception rather than a rule because it's a
> weird implementation. Live Unwrap shouldn't be using properties from the
> unwrap operator, it should have it's own properties since it's a different
> tool. As for where those properties can be, I can see in this case it could
> go quite easily as a menu option next to where live unwrap is, eg. Live
> Unwrap Algorithm -> Conformal / Angle Based   (or whatever naming makes
> sense). Failing that it could go in the image editor UV panels when live
> unwrap is enabled.

So for 2 exmaples:

Unwrap can have a settings menu which can be in both.
* Image Space -> UVs -> Live Unwrap Settings (toggle under live unwrap option)
* 3D View Space -> UV Mapping Menu -> UV Unwrap Settings (toggle under
Unwrap) --- *this one is a bit awkward IMHO*

Edge Slide UV options
* 3D View Space -> Mesh -> Edges -> Edge Slide UV Correct (toggle
under Edge Slide)
... will go in Ctrl+E menu too - same menu in this case.

> tl;dr:
> * +1 to storing settings for *all* operators, with a nice button in the op
> properties to rest to factory defaults
+1 also :)

> * Huge -1 to persistent 'settings' panels like in 2.4x that don't relate to
> anything you're doing in context.

Must say this solution feels un-inspired and combersome - "Lets solve
by adding more panels", But I'm, not convinced that adding options in
menus is great either - although it can work.

Also interested in feedback on the NDof UI and how best to re-arrange.

> Matt

- Campbell