[Bf-committers] Proposal: Canvas compositing

j.bakker at atmind.nl j.bakker at atmind.nl
Wed Aug 3 09:09:37 CEST 2011

Hi Matt

Thanks for your response. If I recap what I have and haven't heard so far:
1. use Image space for the backdrop handles, not the backdrop
2. Does a user want a viewport to define the output. It could also be
controlled by the distort nodes
3. Use matrix for distortion.

IMO the Image space is not the ideal place as it does not have the concept
of the canvas. It could technically be added there, but you will see the
concepts of canvas also with images that are not used by the compositor.
And what about having a single image used with two ImageNodes locating the
images in other places on the canvas. I think that a separate Space would
be better. This space could be used for Images/RenderLayers that are used
in the compositor, output of the compositor, X-ray to the image data, place
to use handles, canvas.
 a. Do we stick to the Image space or do we need to introduce a new Space?
 b. If a new Space is needed this needs to have a good design up front with
goals, limitations and scope?

The viewport idea is perhaps complicating the things a lot to the user, and
has limited benefits. I don't think that the area of interest is a that
wanted feature anymore, in the compositor branch it has been implemented by
a hotspot and the compositor calculates that area as first.
 c. Do we remove the idea of the viewport?

The third item is already present in the compositor branch, but the idea of
using a 3d-matrix and passing that along is a good idea. The current
implementation stacks 'Operations' and this stack is evaluated to the
original input node, this also includes color operations and mix
operations. But the image is only evaluated once via linear/bi-linear reads
for better quality. And yes only by Filter nodes this operation is halted,
precisely as Matt describes.

Thanks
Jeroen.