[Bf-committers] Proposal: Canvas compositing

François T. francoistarlier at gmail.com
Tue Aug 2 22:05:10 CEST 2011

> If render layers have the render size from their scenes and canvas gets
> its render size from the scene that contains it then I wonder where a
> problem might arise?
> Why does the canvas need to be different than the render size?  If i
> need it to be different i can have the composite in a separate scene to
> the renderlayer...

The main reason which can come to my mind right now, is matte painting which
can serve to be bigger. without going trough tricks of having different
render layer of different size, this can be much easier to manage and more
natural

> If it must be separate then a "set rendersize from canvas" or set canvas
> to rendersize operator would surely fit the bill?

Introducing a better "scale node" and "crop node" with some render size
settings as the "scene size" can be nice indeed. scale node is normalized
right now, which makes it difficult for the artist to understand which size
is working with. Working in screen space (pixels) would make things much
easier to understand

> I'm assuming the rotation, translation and scale relative to the canvas
> will all be exposed somewhere... (it sounds like your adding this data
> to the render layer node itself, so should be exposed so it can be
> driven by node input, animated, receive numeric input etc....

I would rather go with a transform node which contain all the different
transformation. having the nodes seperated as we got it right now, makes
node setup much complicated