[Bf-committers] Proposal: Canvas compositing

michael williamson michaelw at cowtoolsmedia.co.uk
Tue Aug 2 19:03:18 CEST 2011

On 02/08/11 16:27, j.bakker at atmind.nl wrote:
>   - Positionable input nodes (data can be positioned/scaled/rotated on the
> canvas)
>   - Backdrop handles (interactive handles on the backdrop)

Looks really cool and presumably easier than current transform nodes...

As a dual screen user I'd question why this has to be "just" the
backdrop of the node editor...
Image editor or perhaps movie clip editors would seem to be candidates
for this....
Especially if matte/mask creation is to be added at some point (drawn
masks especially)

If render layers have the render size from their scenes and canvas gets
its render size from the scene that contains it then I wonder where a
problem might arise?
Why does the canvas need to be different than the render size?  If i
need it to be different i can have the composite in a separate scene to
the renderlayer...

If it must be separate then a "set rendersize from canvas" or set canvas
to rendersize operator would surely fit the bill?

I'm assuming the rotation, translation and scale relative to the canvas
will all be exposed somewhere... (it sounds like your adding this data
to the render layer node itself, so should be exposed so it can be
driven by node input, animated, receive numeric input etc....

What does this mean for the current pan and zoom of backgrounds in the
compositor?  (always a bit of an invisible function in my book, being
keyboard shortcut only)   given the onscreen widgets for the canvas, are
they to set the canvas size (probably only needed once per session) or
to pan and zoom? (used constantly)  Obvioulsy if the canvas is in
another/its own space type then you can use standard 2d view nav.

Maybe the node editor could get modes like the sequencer?  viewer, nodes
or combined?

I'd still argue that the idea of transform nodes isn't bad for
additional animation  (say you make a "sub comp" as a node group and
want to animate the transform of the whole result....

Anyway, these are just some initial thoughts!