[Bf-committers] Proposal: Canvas compositing

j.bakker at atmind.nl j.bakker at atmind.nl
Tue Aug 2 17:27:19 CEST 2011

Hi all,

Some of you might already know this, but I have done some effort in making
canvas compositing working in Blender.

I have made a draft-proposal to see where it should go to. I would like to
have feedback on the user interface level. How can we make this usable to
our users? How can we keep the render width/height settings in sync with
the canvas width/height?

In the current compositor the composite works on a by code defined
coordinate system. This coordinate system (ImBuf x, y) cannot be changed or
even used by the user. This proposal will open up this coordinate system
and implement canvas compositing in Blender. This is possible as the
compositor redesign project does not enforce a coordinate system and
handles data/memory in a different way (no buffers).

This will introduce 4 new concepts in the compositor

 - Ordered List Item Canvas (being the existing background grid)
 - Viewport (the camera that the compositor looks through, the area that
will be the result of the composite)
 - Positionable input nodes (data can be positioned/scaled/rotated on the
canvas)
 - Backdrop handles (interactive handles on the backdrop)

The link below has to proposal including sample images and a (technical)
video.

http://ocl.atmind.nl/doku.php?id=design:proposal:compositor_canvas

Happy Blending!
Jeroen