[Bf-committers] cycles GPLed or BSD?

Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
Fri Apr 29 19:11:11 CEST 2011

Hi,

Had meeting with Brecht on this today; the API is currently rna-via-c+
+, similar to python api but much faster. How to make such an API
"BSD" or define license exceptions for it, I honestly don't know yet.
A working bypass is to just code it via pipe() though, basically only
data has to be passed on anyway.

To not make our projects become even more complex, let's try to focus
on smaller targets first.
- Validate Cycles design in general
- Make roadmap and planning for how it could replace 'internal'.
(might take a year!)
- Work closely with other free/open render engines to ensure they get
the the benefits first of an API (Lux, Aqsis, Yafaray, Freestyle, etc)

Once we have a good working system, investing time on extensions to
commercial engines can be done well by contributions from such
companies too.

-Ton-