[Bf-committers] cycle todo list

Paul Melis paul.melis at sara.nl
Fri Apr 29 19:09:55 CEST 2011

Hi,

On 04/28/11 12:28, Brecht Van Lommel wrote:
> Actually, anything on this list is open to be implemented by others.
> >From the point of view of the core engine, if implemented well they
> can fit in right away. I guess the first ones go from a couple of days
> to a week, once you are familiar with the code, the big features can
> take from a week to multiple months. It's quite hard to say, but if
> someone is interested, they can of course contact me, and I can give
> some pointers on how to go about implementing things.
>
> For me personally, integration, stability, performance, will likely
> take up most of the time for now.
How should we report build problems found? Here on the list?

If so, on a Gentoo 32-bit Linux system with GCC 4.4.5 I get:

[ 95%] Building CXX object
intern/cycles/util/CMakeFiles/cycles_util.dir/util_system.cpp.o
/home/melis/c/blender-cycles-svn/intern/cycles/util/util_system.cpp: In
function 'std::string ccl::system_cpu_brand_string()':
/home/melis/c/blender-cycles-svn/intern/cycles/util/util_system.cpp:63:
error: can't find a register in class 'BREG' while reloading 'asm'
/home/melis/c/blender-cycles-svn/intern/cycles/util/util_system.cpp:63:
error: can't find a register in class 'BREG' while reloading 'asm'
/home/melis/c/blender-cycles-svn/intern/cycles/util/util_system.cpp:63:
error: can't find a register in class 'BREG' while reloading 'asm'
/home/melis/c/blender-cycles-svn/intern/cycles/util/util_system.cpp:63:
error: can't find a register in class 'BREG' while reloading 'asm'
/home/melis/c/blender-cycles-svn/intern/cycles/util/util_system.cpp:63:
error: 'asm' operand has impossible constraints
/home/melis/c/blender-cycles-svn/intern/cycles/util/util_system.cpp:63:
error: 'asm' operand has impossible constraints
/home/melis/c/blender-cycles-svn/intern/cycles/util/util_system.cpp:63:
error: 'asm' operand has impossible constraints
/home/melis/c/blender-cycles-svn/intern/cycles/util/util_system.cpp:63:
error: 'asm' operand has impossible constraints
make[2]: ***
[intern/cycles/util/CMakeFiles/cycles_util.dir/util_system.cpp.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [intern/cycles/util/CMakeFiles/cycles_util.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [all] Error 2

Attached a patch (untested, but it compiles) based on the stuff in
http://newbiz.github.com/cpp/2010/12/20/Playing-with-cpuid.html.

Regards,
Paul