[Bf-committers] cycles GPLed or BSD?

Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
Fri Apr 29 11:18:08 CEST 2011

Hi Tom,

To me Brecht didnt mention he'd prefer licensing as BSD. We just
agreed on putting it all under BF copyright, with our standard gpl
headers.

BSD will for sure be more attractive for the industry to copy and use,
but if that gives back useful contributions is quite disputable. For
as now, Cycles is candidate to be evaluated to replace internal render
in the future, and for that GPL will suit perfectly.

Using the render API to connect to other (commercial) engines is a
good issue to check on though.

-Ton-