[Bf-committers] [Bf-blender-cvs] SVN commit: /data/svn/bf-blender [36355] branches/cycles: Blender modifications for Cycles integration.

Tom M letterrip at gmail.com
Wed Apr 27 21:03:24 CEST 2011

On Wed, Apr 27, 2011 at 6:36 AM, Brecht Van Lommel
<brechtvanlommel at pandora.be> wrote:

> * There are two shading backends: GPU compatible and Open Shading Language.
>  Unfortunately, OSL only runs on the CPU currently, getting this to run on
>  the GPU would be a major undertaking, and is unlikely to be supported soon.
>  Additionally, it's not possible yet to write custom OSL shaders.

This was discussed on the OpenSL list some months ago - Larry Gritz
recommends the following as the preferred path (not necessarily for
Blender devs to do, but something that should be done for opensl
eventually....)

"3. Add another "back end" to ShadingSystem, much like how we use LLVM
to take the post-optimized bytecode of the shader group and compile it
to machine language on the fly, except you would be translating the
post-optimized bytecode to OpenCL source code.  (This would be my
choice for a real production system, and would leverage as much of our
work as possible.) "

LetterRip