[Bf-committers] No more subsurf and mirror modifier with scupt mode?

Matt Ebb matt at mke3.net
Tue Apr 26 10:16:24 CEST 2011

Hi Sergey, sorry to drag this up again, but I wanted to respond (I've
been away the last few days).

On Thu, Apr 21, 2011 at 5:45 PM, Sergey I. Sharybin <g.ulairi at gmail.com> wrote:
>  Looks like it was implemented in 2.49 exactly in the same way as it
> was before enabling sculpting on deformed mesh in 2.5 and i don't find
> it intuitive.

Well, for the purposes of poly modelling it's quite good - especially
when you have reference designs and you're tweaking it to fit shapes
from camera etc. Anyway I can't speak for Tristan, but he told me it
was the main reason he uses blender for poly modelling, even in high
end studios where he has access to many other tools.

Anyway, there was a big difference between the previous 2.5 situation
and 2.49, in that previously in 2.5 it would interpret the sculpt
strokes using the vertex locations of the original base level mesh. In
2.49 it allows you to actually sculpt on the subdivided surface and
even if you can't sculpt on the mirrored part of the mesh this is
usually fine for this purpose. If you're already using mirror modifier
when poly modelling you're probably only concentrating on one half of
the model anyway.

Check out this video of 2.49 - the setup is a base mesh, with mirror
and subsurf modifier - it shows how you can sculpt correctly on the
original vertices that are transformed to the limit surface, on one
side of the mirrored mesh.

http://mke3.net/blender/devel/2.5/sculpt_subsurf.mov

Anyway, I'm not the one that's been using this feature, perhaps I can
get him in touch with you. I just know he's been bugging me about it
every time I work with him ;)

cheers

Matt