[Bf-committers] Blender 2.57a AHOY!

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 23 16:11:30 CEST 2011

We're using buildbot, but its probably not hard to write something
like this in python.
nevertheless, I have reservations about how well we could use a
feature like this.
firstly static checks only find certain kinds of bugs, and doubt this
would cover most of our crashes - at a guess it could be something
more like 1 in 20 or less.

There are many false positives - it generates 752 - I bet less then 1%
of these are actually errors that users could trigger.
To check an error is false or not takes some research, seeing how the
function is called, weather the bug could even happen, can be 1 -
10min each.

Even if we are able to only get lists of new/changed errors, the rate
blender changes still means some developer has to spend - probably
some hrs a week on checking these reports.
I guess edits to code also re-raise the errors, so I'm skeptical as to
how well this would work for us.

So its possible to improve the process of using clang's static checker
- and it would help fix some bugs too,
on the other hand all this time spent setting up infrastructure and
checking the results of theoretical errors could be spent looking into
real bugs which we have no shortage of :)

- Campbell