[Bf-committers] No more subsurf and mirror modifier with scupt mode?

Sergey I. Sharybin g.ulairi at gmail.com
Thu Apr 21 09:45:38 CEST 2011

  Looks like it was implemented in 2.49 exactly in the same way as it
was before enabling sculpting on deformed mesh in 2.5 and i don't find
it intuitive.

I'm not sure what do you mean "properly" -- i can't make strokes on
mirrored part of mesh. And what about sculpting on deformed/armatured mesh?

Problem that we can't deal with all kinds of modifier stack content and
now we allow only that modifiers, which could be handled ~100% correct.
Of course, we could support simple cases like Bse mesh -> mirror ->
subsurf or Base mesh -> armature, but cases like Base mesh -> mirror ->
armature can't be handled correct. And things could be much more
complicated here and you've got no idea where stroke happens (even in
2.49 troke isn't happening on that point of subdivided default cube --
try to grab vertex -- it's movenment would be "delayed", it's because of
distance between dragging vertex and prush posiiton).

That's why ide of sculpt cage was burn -- just to visualize kinda
"sculpting level" which is used for brushes just to make things more
clear about where sculpting happens. Otherwise, in a bit more
complicated modifier stack you should be making strokes far from place
you want to add some displacement. It's not intuitive at all.

Matt Ebb wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 21, 2011 at 5:07 PM, Sergey I. Sharybin<g.ulairi at gmail.com>  wrote:
>>   Hi Ronan!
>>
>> Yep, you're right -- constructive modifiers (like array, mirror,
>> subsurf,...) were disabled when sculpting. This was made to make
>> sculpting more obvious and enable sculpting on deformed mesh.
> I forget the issues involved here, but I recall sculpting (modifying
> base level mesh, as you would in edit mode) with mirror and subsurf on
> was supported properly in 2.49 - a modeller friend I've worked with
> relied on this a lot - using the sculpt tools to tweak poly modelled
> objects. What's the difference between how it worked in 2.49 and now?
> is it possible at all to restore similar functionality as 2.49?
>
> cheers
>
> Matt

With best regards, Sergey I. Sharybin