[Bf-committers] No more subsurf and mirror modifier with scupt mode?

Sergey I. Sharybin g.ulairi at gmail.com
Thu Apr 21 09:07:52 CEST 2011

  Hi Ronan!

Yep, you're right -- constructive modifiers (like array, mirror,
subsurf,...) were disabled when sculpting. This was made to make
sculpting more obvious and enable sculpting on deformed mesh.

Main problem of old approach was using undeformed mesh to calculate
strokes, which was invisible. This was giving reasonable results while
you hasn't tried to sculpt on armatured mesh or on lo-poly mesh with
high level of subdivision modifier.

Now you could easiy sculpt on armatured/deformed mesh and see actual
result of your sculpt, no need to predict place of brush to make stroke
as it was with previous implementation. And also deformation became a
bit more "correct" -- it's more about direction of displacement on
highly deformed mesh (developer's name for such
reverse-deformation-calculation si crazyspace)

About plans.. Yep, we don't have plans in terms of when and what would
be implemented, but we discussed this in out IRC channel and got an idea
of re-animating old derived-cage approach which showed both of geometry
used for brushes and final result like it's made in edit mode. Problem
that we can't use the both of crazyspace correction and constructive
modifiers at the same time. So, idea was to use current crazyspace
approach by default, but give option to switch to derived-cage approach
to be able to sculpt on constructed mesh.

But there would be some limitaion, of cource. You'll be still unable to
make strokes on constructed parts of mesh and if you've got armatured
mesh which is subdivided you'll be able to sculpt on base mesh only (or
maybe on deformed mesh by deformation modifiers before constructive
modifiers).

And there's also quite unclear for such derived-cage approach when we
should use it. I'm not sure if automatic entering such mode is good
idea, maybe it'll be option in sculpt panels to use such mode.. Anyway,
ideas and implementation ways of this are still discussing..

Ronan Zeegers wrote:
> Hello Blender developpers!
>
> I'm a little bit sad to see that 2 really important features where
> removed in the latest 2.57 release: being able to work in sculpt mode
> with the subsurf and mirror modifier.
> Those features are really important for characters/organic modelling...
>
> After a bit of browsing, a found a word from Sergey:
> http://code.blender.org/index.php/2011/01/sculpting-on-armatured-mesh/
>
> If I read correclty, there is no plan to put those features back in Blender.
> Please... Don't do this...
> Right now, my workflow is a bit broken. I'm constantly switching betwen
> Blender 2.49 and 2.57. Making me losing a lot of time...
>
> I know that I'm not the only artist to be annoyed by this:
> http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?215198-Blender-2.57-3-Bad-things-that-we-found...%28at-this-time%29
> http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=59&t=972277&page=2&pp=15
>
> Thanx for reading me!
> Ronan Zeegers