[Bf-committers] Windows Debug Build (possible with free tools?)

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 19 03:33:20 CEST 2011

I hope there is some way around this but from what I can tell there is
no way to compile a debug build of blender with free tools on windows
right now.
On my XP system running on VirtualBox I can't at least.

This is a real shame because it basically means you cant develop
blender on windows - at least no debug builds.

>From what I can tell, from talking to Nathan & looking online, the
issue is that linking against python32_d.dll adds in the dependency
for MSVC2008 - full version runtime.
Its hard to get detailed info on this because the error message is cryptic:
---
  The application failed to initialize properly (0xc9159992).
  Click on OK to terminate the application.
---

This happens on MinGW and MSVC2010 Express, only when Python is
enabled & with DEBUG defined.

With GSOC starting it would be good to resolve this or at least give
students on Windows some time to apply for a free MSVC student
licenses.

I looked into building a debug python with MSVC Express 2010, but they
don't support it. (or MinGW for that matter)
see: http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/python/dev/910317
so if anyone has some idea about how to build a debug python that
doesn't require a full MSVC 2008 it may enable linking with free tools
again.

If there is no way to get free tools working then there there are 2
workarounds I noted here,
basically to not link against python32_d.dll or not build with python at all.
  http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Dev:2.5/Doc/Building_Blender/Windows/MinGW/CMake#Debug_Builds
In most cases building without python is not an option - no interface,
but building a release with debug symbols is no so bad.

ps. this is a thread which I *think* is the same problem we have with
2008 full version runtime.
http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-CA/Vsexpressvc/thread/03e98c40-b91a-482e-90d1-d82021a6c0eb

--
- Campbell