[Bf-committers] Why has "CTRL y" been removed from blender ?

Jim Williams sphere1952 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 17 16:16:13 CEST 2011

I'm not inclined to see Maya et. al. as THE MARKET.  I think
the 3D virtual reality environments are probably already a larger
market for Blender, if a currently largely invisible one.

Certainly, if Blender is to ever have a really huge user base
it will be in the Metaverse.  This is the place where even
end-users would have some sort of interest in using a 3D
modelling/animation program and have some sort of skill
in moving about in three dimensions.  All the other environments
are mass media with very small actual user communities.

On Sun, Apr 17, 2011 at 7:13 AM, Jass <gaia.clary at machinimatrix.org> wrote:
> As a tutorial maker and i have to stick with the defaults because that is
> the only reliable way to go. (Forcing users to install a customized
> interface
> to rework the tutorials would be very wrong in my opinion) I agree that
> aligning blender to other tools in the same market is a good decision.
>
> On the other hand (as already mentioned before) both versions of redo
> assignment seem to be "commonly used" and its not just a difference
> in the target market but also a difference in the operating system.
> For example  OSX seems to not support ctrl+y at all (even not on firefox).
>
> I still would prefer to see ctrl+y added to the defaults. But if there
> is no chance
> to get both standards supported with blender then keeping ctrl+shift+z as
> the default seems the best choice to me.
>
> Cheers,
> Gaia
>

> Am 17.04.2011 10:32, schrieb Matt Ebb:
>> On Sun, Apr 17, 2011 at 5:37 PM, Damir Prebeg<blend.factory at gmail.com>  wrote:
>>> Again, as I've said, CTRL+SHIFT+Z is perfect for standard US keyboard
>>> users. For the rest of us (or at least users of QWERTZ) it's not. But
>>> according your responses I see that we'll have to change that
>>> individually.
>> No shortcut organisation will be ergonomic for all keyboard layouts -
>> there will always be someone who finds it inconvenient. As a lowest
>> common denominator blender is designed for use with a US keyboard -
>> for others, that's precisely what having customisable shortcut keys is
>> for.
>>
>> Matt

No essence.  No permanence.  No perfection.  Only action.