[Bf-committers] Why has "CTRL y" been removed from blender ?

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 16 16:23:27 CEST 2011

Agree that its a bad precedent to support multiple common key
assignments to the same operator just to make people who are used to
each feel comfortable.

It would be like adding:
* Ctrl+Insert copy
* Shift-Delete cut
* Shift-Insert paste
Alongside Ctrl+C/X/V.

Isn't the reason we have an editable keymap so we can have what we
consider `good` defaults and people who want to change them can do so?

On Sat, Apr 16, 2011 at 2:04 PM, Benjamin Tolputt
<btolputt at internode.on.net> wrote:
> On 16/04/2011 11:56 PM, Jass wrote:
>> Here is a customized startup.blend file which shows that ctrl+y and
>> ctrl+shift+z can
>> live together without problems:
>>
>>      http://www.pasteall.org/blend/6084
>>
>> So unless there is a good reason to ban usage of ctrl+y i propose to add
>> it back to blender
>
> The question to ask is, how many other operators get two key-board
> shortcuts to do the same thing in the same circumstances.
>
> I personally prefer CTRL+SHIFT+Z (it is easier to hit on my three
> keyboards and more "logical" to me when undoing/redoing an action), but
> that is not my point. My point is that barring some illogical reason for
> the current choice, adding another shortcut to do the exact same thing
> seems to be wasting limited slots in the user interface. As undo/redo is
> pretty much universal across all "modes" of operation - it removes the
> CTRL+Y option
>
> I'm not advocating specifically for abstaining from CTRL+Y (though have
> stated my preference) but I think we need to choose one or the other -
> not both. Given the number of changes in the interface and shortcuts, I
> believe (and this is an opinion that may not be shared) that just
> because there were two shortcuts in the old Blender doesn't make it a
> good reason to have the same duplication going forward.
>
> Is there a (semi)official position on this? Aside from correcting
> technical information, I have noted the people that get final say on
> this (i.e. are the ones that will or will not add this into the official
> startup blend) are refraining from comment at the moment.
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Benjamin Tolputt
> Analyst Programmer