[Bf-committers] Why has "CTRL y" been removed from blender ?

Benjamin Tolputt btolputt at internode.on.net
Sat Apr 16 16:04:04 CEST 2011

On 16/04/2011 11:56 PM, Jass wrote:
> Here is a customized startup.blend file which shows that ctrl+y and
> ctrl+shift+z can
> live together without problems:
>
>      http://www.pasteall.org/blend/6084
>
> So unless there is a good reason to ban usage of ctrl+y i propose to add
> it back to blender

The question to ask is, how many other operators get two key-board
shortcuts to do the same thing in the same circumstances.

I personally prefer CTRL+SHIFT+Z (it is easier to hit on my three
keyboards and more "logical" to me when undoing/redoing an action), but
that is not my point. My point is that barring some illogical reason for
the current choice, adding another shortcut to do the exact same thing
seems to be wasting limited slots in the user interface. As undo/redo is
pretty much universal across all "modes" of operation - it removes the
CTRL+Y option

I'm not advocating specifically for abstaining from CTRL+Y (though have
stated my preference) but I think we need to choose one or the other -
not both. Given the number of changes in the interface and shortcuts, I
believe (and this is an opinion that may not be shared) that just
because there were two shortcuts in the old Blender doesn't make it a
good reason to have the same duplication going forward.

Is there a (semi)official position on this? Aside from correcting
technical information, I have noted the people that get final say on
this (i.e. are the ones that will or will not add this into the official
startup blend) are refraining from comment at the moment.

--
Regards,

Benjamin Tolputt
Analyst Programmer