[Bf-committers] Why has "CTRL y" been changed to "CTRL SHIFT z" ?

Jass gaia.clary at machinimatrix.org
Fri Apr 15 23:49:18 CEST 2011

in blender 2.49 we had both variants ( ctr+y and ctrl+shit+z ) at least
on windows based blender.
According to wikipedia both variants are common place
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Undo <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Undo>

So i propose to add the ctrl-y back into the blender-standard startpage:

PROS:
1.) it is similar to blender-2.49 (for windows at least)
2.) ctrl-y is much easier to type compared to ctrl+shift+z
3.) comparing before-after a change is easy and fast typing:

make a change
ctrl+z -> back to original
ctrl+y -> forward to change
very fast toggle possible.

Compared to toggle via ctrl+z ctrl+shift+z -> knots in my fingers

CONS:
I have no idea of any cons.

For the implementation: i believe it is just a small change in the
default start page and not even a programing issue at all.

BTW: I know that i can customize it to my needs. But since i make
tutorials it would be
a very bad idea when i'd force people to customize their GUI before a
tutorial will work
for them. At least not for common functions like redo.

And since ctrl+y and ctrl+shift+z both are common  place i opt for
serving the
common expectations (if nothing speaks against them of course).