[Bf-committers] Geometry in Compositor or Quadrangulation???

Matt Ebb matt at mke3.net
Tue Apr 12 07:26:09 CEST 2011

On Tue, Apr 12, 2011 at 2:19 PM, pete larabell <xgl.asyliax at gmail.com> wrote:
Id be happy to make it a REAL
> comp system that gets done somewhere else (VSE?) but im not a comp.
> guy myself and didnt/dont understand where people WANT it done. If
> someone...

Maybe there was a misunderstanding here. Yes, in the compositor,
editable interactively in the viewer where your footage is displayed
is exactly where this sort of functionality should be. It's pretty
shocking that there's even a discussion about this!

Now whether the current code base supports implementing this cleanly
and easily or not is a separate issue. Currently there's no kind of
generic manipulator system to let you interact with nodes via an image
viewer (like what you'd find in any other compositor), and I think
that's a pretty strong pre-requisite for doing this properly. Having
said that though, it's not really a blocker for coding the spline
rasterisation in a comp node, you can easily get that working
independently with a crappy/hacked up ui to specify the spline points.
However having a proper means of interaction *is* a blocker for having
a finshed, usable tool that should go in any released version.

Matt