[Bf-committers] Geometry in Compositor or Quadrangulation???

pete larabell xgl.asyliax at gmail.com
Mon Apr 11 16:23:45 CEST 2011

Hi all!

I now (after seeing poll) completely understand that the auto-retopo
is what more people that were voting want to see.

However...

In my efforts to better understand Blender's mesh/data representation,
I feel that doing an "easy" 3d_to_2d rasterizer for compo. tools would
be better for me to start with.

I don't believe doing the compo. part will take longer than a week,
and it'd sure help me to get a better idea of how Blender stores data.

After 2 decades of graphics programming I don't feel that either
project is "outside of my ability" to do, but I am still somewhat new
to Blender's codebase.

Implementation of the Double Edged Matte node took 1 day, and that was
my first time ever coding for Blender. Maybe I'm wrong, the mask
rasterizer could end up taking longer than 1 week, but I really doubt
it.

As soon as I have that working correctly, I will switch development
over to an implementation of the greedy mixed int. quad. retopo
system.

I do think that's a great idea, I will get it working as a node first,
then let someone more familiar with the other areas of blender get the
code working in the other areas. If nobody picks it up and gets it to
a good workflow state, then perhaps I shall take a look at it after
the retopo.