[Bf-committers] Geometry in Compositor or Quadrangulation???

pete larabell xgl.asyliax at gmail.com
Sun Apr 10 22:17:05 CEST 2011

Hey all,

I am planning on building a system (initial intent is for double edge
matte comp. node) that will rasterize any 3d object in the scene into
a 2d mask in the compositor. I know that is the entire purpose of ID
Mask and render layers, but I'm specifically referring to the ability
to rasterize the off-screen portions for the feathering/gradient
calculations needs to correctly implement a double edged matte/mask.

I am also going to implement the greedy mixed integer quadrangulator.

Now, what I'd like to ask is:

Given that it would probably not be best to try two additions at the
same time... which one is is more desired in blender first?

I suppose I should maybe be asking blender USERS rather than just
coders, but oh well :)

Is there one of these two that more people would like to see???

As a note: the reason I ask is simple; I know that more people *want*
the quadrangulator, but the GMIQ will also take longer to implement
than the object rasterizer.

Anyway, I'd be interested to hear the thoughts of others before I get
too deep into either one.

Cheers!
Peter