[Bf-committers] [GSoC2011] Mesh Retopology Tool Enhancements Including Step-Building, Extending, Slicing, Enhanced Pen and Paint Tools

Tom M letterrip at gmail.com
Mon Apr 4 20:28:19 CEST 2011

Discussed this with Dan a bit, while he clearly put a lot of thought
into the proposal, it looks like he based some assumptions that we
were still using the system that Nick did for retopo in 2.43 using the
depth buffer, etc.  (Note that this was a reasonable assumption -
small version number changes people assume == minor changes *cough*)

http://www.blender.org/development/release-logs/blender-243/retopo/

However retopology work flow has changed quite a bit, current tools
are now the surface snapping during transforms; the shrinkwrap
modifier; and the surface sketching addon - the depth based method is
no longer available.

Most of his tool proposals would also involve adding tools to our
current mesh system which is due to be replaced with BMesh.  So I'm
not sure if this should instead be reworked to be applicable to bmesh.
 Or suggest he focus on the retopo tools that were suggested on the
page which are not nearly as dependent on the underlying mesh code.

LetterRip