[Bf-committers] GSoC 2011: Improving Retopology Tools

Matt Ebb matt at mke3.net
Mon Apr 4 01:44:56 CEST 2011

On Mon, Apr 4, 2011 at 9:27 AM, Sergey Kurdakov <sergey.forum at gmail.com> wrote:

Alice's thread has already veered way off-topic and I hate to derail
it even further, but I feel the need to comment on this for the sake
of other students that may be reading:

> the applicant must win an application so it should be interesting and
> not trivial.

This is true, but it doesn't mean that a GSOC proposal must do
complicated things or use complex algorithms internally. It's often
better for blender to have really well thought out and well crafted
simple tools that work really nicely and are achievable in the scope
of the gsoc, than it is to attempt to make complicated intensive tools
that a) may not even get finished over the summer and/or b) may not be
that useful in real world conditions. I don't mean to make a false
dichotomy, but designing and creating simple, useful, tools that
people love to use can easily be as much work as implementing a
complicated algorithm, and can often be more productive for artists in
the end.

So students, if your proposal is mathematically or algorithmically
complicated that's great, but you shouldn't feel discourages if it's
not, as either can be challenging in their own way and can both make
acceptable GSOC projects.

cheers

Matt