[Bf-committers] GSoC 2011: Improving Retopology Tools

Tom M letterrip at gmail.com
Mon Apr 4 01:09:33 CEST 2011

On Sun, Apr 3, 2011 at 2:36 PM, Sergey Kurdakov <sergey.forum at gmail.com> wrote:
> and few words before you stated - that retopo will work on simple
> submeshes - correct?

A common method for retopology is over sculpted meshes.  You might
want to retopologize creating only a small number of polys over an
area with thousands, tens of thousands or more polys  (Right now you
can do over 40 million polys in a single mutires mesh).  (with a poly
budget of 150 for a simple object -  40 million/150 is about 250,000
polys per quad of your retopo mesh)

> maybe you have some knowledge - but it does not mean you know everything.

Wasn't claiming to :)

> or can from out hand say that algos which are specially developed for
> retopo are 'unapproriate'

It wasn't out of hand.  I was familiar with both the target of this
GSoC project, and the methods used in the projects mentioned.

While it is true that there might be some use in extending the retopo
tools beyond the scope that was suggested for GSoC, the original
inquiry was more narrow in nature.

LetterRip