[Bf-committers] GSoC 2011: Improving Retopology Tools

Tom M letterrip at gmail.com
Mon Apr 4 00:26:12 CEST 2011

On Sun, Apr 3, 2011 at 2:03 PM, Sergey Kurdakov <sergey.forum at gmail.com> wrote:

> so you kind of big boss?

No, Ton is the Big Boss - I'm more of a medium boss :)

>> Rohiths code can only work on extremely simple meshes because the math
>> library he needed for accelerating the process was not integrated yet
>
> this is incorrect

No it really is correct, me and rohith exchanged emails and chat
discussions, here is a direct quote from about a month ago,

QUOTE

" it will be really slow and will work only for fairly low poly models

the reason being that I did not find a usable sparse matrix implementation"

END QUOTE

Anywho he is currently looking for a usable sparse matrix
implementation and has some bugs to fix.  However it is irrelevant,
since it still wouldn't be appropriate for the two tasks that the
student is interested in working on (which are much simpler cases).

>somehow you missed it big boss,

Didn't miss it - I just have more direct knowledge of what is going on.

> so to use ready code - is difficult. Or Tom - maybe you can allow a
> bit of creativity? that will easily pay off.
> maybe rohith did not finish intended feature because he tired of you?

It is great that you wanted to help a student by providing papers, it
isn't so good that you are insisting that you are correct in an
insulting manner.

> all mentioned approaches was like these: take arbitrary mesh and make it better.
> it is developed with simple interface with mesh in - mesh out.

The use case is entirely different.  This is faster manual creation of
a retopology, things are very well constrained so heavy math lifting
doesn't need to be done to find what the contours of the mesh are in
order to best align the edge loops.

LetterRip