[Bf-committers] GSoC 2011: Improving Retopology Tools

Sergey Kurdakov sergey.forum at gmail.com
Mon Apr 4 00:03:38 CEST 2011

Hi Tom.

>I managed last years Google Summer of Code for blender, helped design
>many of the students proposals (including helped rohith), etc.

so you kind of big boss?

> Rohiths code can only work on extremely simple meshes because the math
> library he needed for accelerating the process was not integrated yet

this is incorrect

he used library

http://openmesh.org/index.php?id=271#c2029
which is described in
http://www.graphics.rwth-aachen.de/uploads/media/spm08_01.pdf

the library is present in rohith patches ( and I compiled his code )
so it is integrated and has simple interface - somehow you missed it
big boss,
now as to 'usefulness' - it remeshes arbitrary mesh preserving
features - so what is needed in the case of retopology

> is totally inappropriate for the simple nature of the retopology tools
> that are for GSoC.

so to use ready code - is difficult. Or Tom - maybe you can allow a
bit of creativity? that will easily pay off.
maybe rohith did not finish intended feature because he tired of you?

just think for a while - maybe sometimes to be more flexible pays off.

> None of your suggested references provide algorithms for generating
> the mesh in an appropriate manner.  They are either drastically too
> complicated (involving things like taking derivatives of curvature and
> other fun math) or way to simple (doing scan fills that result in tris
> or quads that will give ugly topology).

I see that you are in charge - but

all mentioned approaches was like these: take arbitrary mesh and make it better.
it is developed with simple interface with mesh in - mesh out.

in case you can suggest any better algos - and I provided best in
class of retopo algos
you are welcome.

Regards
Sergey